Tuesday, November 13, 2007

First Bite Boulder

Last weekend, Kate and I partook from the West End's offering in the annual First Bite Boulder event. I had the recommended beer flight with my meal, and I fell face first into the best beer pairing of my life so far:

Warm basil & roasted red pepper goat cheese dip
---paired with---
New Belgium's Mothership Wit

The tangy goat cheese mingled brilliantly with the slightly sour citrus flavors of the wit. I had it 4 days ago and I still can't get over it. And that was only the first course--the rest of the meal was wonderful as well. I was served a Stone IPA with the second course and Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale with the third, but nothing could quite match such a superb beer and cheese pairing.

I washed the meal down with a Buffalo Trace on the rocks, which was an okay choice for after dinner, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. It's very fruity, heavy on apple and pear flavors, and just isn't quite what I'm generally looking for in a bourbon.

All in all, it was quite an amazing meal. I'm definitely inspired to experiment with some beer and cheese pairings now. Be sure send any good suggestions my way.

-Jon

1 comment: