Friday, November 9, 2007

Old Jubilation (bottled) - 3.4

Old Jubilation
English Strong Ale (Winter Seasonal)
Avery Brewing
Boulder, CO
Alcohol Content: 8.0%

Jon:
This is a dark and bitter ale, with an underlying chocolatey taste mostly masked by roasted coffee. The finish is really bitter, and the alcohol taste is a bit overpowering. Not a bad choice, but this is the type of beer that requires the right mood. I wish I could try it cellared like Avery's website suggests.

3.4
Appearance Aroma Palate Flavor Price Buzz Overall
4/5 7/10 4/5 6/10 3/5 4/5 6/10

Mark:
This beer looks like Coca Cola. Usually I'm not horribly fond of dark ales. They taste like chocolate and coffee. Not that I don't like chocolate and coffee (not together, thank you very much), but I like my beer to taste like beer and my coffee to taste like coffee--nothing else. This is nice and bittery though. A little clearer than most--it's almost like it's a dark ale mixed with an IPA or cola mixed with beer. Not my favorite, but not half bad, not half bad at all.

3.2
Appearance Aroma Palate Flavor Price Buzz Overall
2/5 6/10 3/5 7/10 3/5 4/5 7/10

Jere:
Sausages! That's what this one tasted like at first, but that quickly faded. As Jon says, it is a meaty beer. If we didn't have some single malt scotch to try, I would have had another. Ye Olde Jube!

3.5
Appearance Aroma Palate Flavor Price Buzz Overall
5/5 7/10 4/5 3/10 4/5 5/5 7/10

No comments: